Friday, October 28, 2011

Guest Blogger: "The Dark Side of Beauty" with an EOTD in Plum Galaxy


Who is she? Nancy from The Dark Side of Beauty

1) How and why did you start blogging?
I started watching Youtube beauty videos the summer after I graduated from High School. It all began with MAC's Hello Kitty collection; I saw multiple haul videos on that collection, and I was so fascinated by the products and by the people who were making the videos. I was, and still am, a huge Sanrio fan. I hesitated to buy my first MAC products, but the Hello Kitty packaging gave a huge nudge forward, and that was my first MAC purchase as well as my first department store purchase. Then, I started to look at blogs for product reviews and swatches and I became really interesting in brands like NARS, MAC, MUFE, Urban Decay, and more. I started my blog at the beginning of this year because I really enjoyed reading blogs, so I thought "why not write about what I have a passion for?" And that is how The Dark Side of Beauty began.

2) What is the focus of your blog?
The focus of my blog is really anything dark and geeky. I am a huge nerd, and you will see a lot of gaming, anime, Star Wars, and Doctor Who references there. But other than that, I love doing eye looks, reviewing products, and showing my latest additions to my nail polish collection. I started my blog with the intention to nail posts, but I my blog quickly became known more for my eye looks. It was an interesting change of plans!

3) What is your favorite makeup brand & why?
That is a tough question, especially because I love so many brands. At one point, I would have said MAC or NARS. But when I really think about the products I use all the time, I would have to say Illamasqua and Fyrinnae are my favorite brands. Illamasqua products are great quality, super pigmented, and will last you forever. I also love that Illamasqua is not afraid to step outside the boundaries and they create relly unique products. Fyrinnae has the best loose eyeshadows at a super inexpensive price. They are also hand made, vegan products. Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy is also one of my top "must-have" products because of how vibrant it makes eyeshadows look.

4) What is your favorite clothing brand & why?
I am not much of a fashion conscious person, and I would feel more comfortable wearing a band shirt or a tacky Star Wars shirt. But I do like shopping at Forever 21 occasionally. One of my favorite more girly brands is Material Girl. And If I could afford it, I would buy Vivienne Westwood clothing.

5) If you were allowed to bring only one beauty product with you, what would it be & why?
Concealer. I think concealer is such a practical product. It can cover dark circles to make you look more awake and cover redness or blemishes to give the appearance of flawless skin.

6) Do you have any favorite beauty or fashion blogs you recommend?
http://www.phyrra.net/
I love her blog! I think we share many of the same tastes, and I always know I will find great information and recommendations on her blog.
http://fixyourfacemakeup.blogspot.com/
Maryam is such a gorgeous young lady who is extremely talented. She is also very sweet and kind. I love her looks and her posts.
And there is just so many wonderful girls out there, so definitely take the time to check out some new blogs :D

7) What is a tip you would like to share with incoming beauty or fashion bloggers?
I think the best advice I can give to new bloggers it this: stick with it. Don't get discouraged if you don't have many followers at first. I got discouraged many times, and I almost quit blogging several times. But as you can see, I am still here ^_^ Have faith in yourself.
Other than that, of course, just be yourself.

Now onto Nancy's guest post:

EOTD: Plum Galaxy

Products Used:
-Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy
-MAC Blue Sheen eyeshadow (You can use any dark, shimmery navy color)
-Revlon Plum Galaxy diamond lust (You can use any glittery plum or purple color)
-Urban Decay 15th Anniversary Palette (Vanilla and Junkshow)
-Illamasqua Beguile Pure Pigment
-L'oreal Lineur Intense liquid eyeliner
-Prestige My Blackest Lashes mascara

How to Achieve This Look:
1.Firstly, apply a piece of scotch tape at the edge of your eye (refer to the diagram below, apply the tape along the white line)This will make a sharp eyeshadow line. Also apply your eye base (I used Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy).
2.Apply a shimmery dark navy eyeshadow on the crease and the outer V. Make sure to blend the color upwards past the crease and down onto the lid (I used MAC Blue Sheen).
3.Apply a glittery plum color on the center of the lid and blend it into the dark navy (I used Revlon Plum Galaxy).
4.Then, apply a pale gold shadow on the brown bone (I used Vanilla from the UD Palette).
5.Apply the same navy color on your lower lash line.
6.Take a bright pink shadow, and lightly apply it on the lower lash line, below the navy blue. (I used Junkshow from the UD palette).
7. Apply a glitter shadow on the inner corner of the eye (I used Illamasqua Beguile pigment)>
8.Remove the scotch tape in one fluid motion. You should have a sharp eyeshadow line.
9.Apply liquid liner and mascara.

You are done! <3

Thanks for the guest post, Nancy!
This is such a gorgeous look definitely worth trying!
I hope you ladies enjoyed reading Nancy's post.
Don't forget to check out her blog. :)

10 comments:

Sidrah!!!! said...

the eye look is really pretty! Def following Nancy's blog!

Nancy said...

Thank you so much for this!! ;D

Rinny said...

Omg her EOTD is so gorgeous! That's a look I don't think I could easily pull off though. It's a bit dramatic for me...it looks beautiful on her though :)

CottonCandyINK said...

great interview!

thanks for visiting my blog, hope you come back soon!

Vee said...

I found your blog via Nancy's and I'm glad I did :)

xxx Vee

katherine said...

gosh this look is amazing!

Maryam Maquillage said...

Looooved the interview!!! I feel like I know you so much better now my Sexy Nancy!!! Thanks so much for mentioning me, you're a doll. Wonderful collaboration, ladies :)))

Maryam Maquillage said...

As always, flawless eye makeup. Edgy, sexy, hot, fearless and so true to you :))

Nancy said...

@Maryam: Thank you so much darling <3
;)

Chloe said...

This is so amazing! I really need to get some more eye shadows and start experimenting more with just blacks and silver.

http://socialemissions.blogspot.com/

Back to Top