Friday, October 21, 2011

Guest Blogger: "Lilith's Fashion" with The best way to choose your foundation color


Who is she? Lilith from Lilith's Fashion

1) How and why did you start blogging? 
I have been blogging on and off for a few years with various websites like livejournal, xanga, tumblr, and more. In July 2011 I started to really get serious with it though. I noticed when I watched films or the telly I would see these really cute outfits on people, and wondered where on earth they got that beautiful dress, or blouse, etc. I found myself googling things like, “Anne Hathaway Miss Congeniality outfit” and I did this on numerous occasions. I seldom would find answers from other people, and when I did the prices were outrageous. So I decided I’d put together my own blog for myself and other people interested in fashion.

2) What is the focus of your blog? 
My fashion blog has a few different aspects to it. The main part of it is finding celebrity looks for the average person on a budget. Right now I just have women’s celebrity “looks under $100” --- but perhaps in the future I’ll expand to higher amounts, or even a men’s section. I find a celebrity look that I think is lovely, and then I go searching online for similar pieces that are budget-friendly. Not everyone has the ability to spend $500+ on just one item like some of these famous folks do! I also like to share coupons/sale info that I find from clothing websites--- I mean, who doesn’t love a coupon? There is a section in my blog dedicated to my own looks as well, but I haven’t posted too much from my own closet; I do plan to do more of those! I see so many great inspirational outfits from other bloggers closets; it’s such a great way to see different styles. Lastly, I must admit that I am a shoe addict. Of course I had to have a section of my blog completely dedicated to shoes. When I find a cute shoe, for a good deal I post a photo and link up!

3) What is your favorite makeup brand & why? 
Wow! There are SO many great products and brands out there. I think I’d have to go with MAC though; although the price is a bit on the high side, it is great quality. On my eighteenth birthday I decided to give them a try as a birthday present to myself, and I was in love with the brand.

4) What is your favorite clothing brand & why?
 
I find myself picking up a lot of my clothing from H&M, Charlotte Russe, and Forever 21. When I head to the mall those are my first three stops. H&M is my go-to store for dresses most of the time, I like the quality of their items. They also give a nice variety of items. Out of the three stores I named, I believe that H&M is the most expensive; quality over quantity though! Charlotte Russe on the other hand is where I like to get shoes from; I find comfortable, cute, and budget friendly shoes there. A lot of the time I notice they have a BOGO deal on shoes if you keep checking back, and I’ve never bought a shoe from them that I wasn’t head over heels for! Forever 21 is where I find my shorts/skirts most of the time. Lately I’ve found too many beautiful skirts at that store, and I have to keep trying things on and talking myself out of over-spending. I don’t know about other F21 shops, but the one by me has friendly staff which makes it that much better. Forever 21 isn’t the most amazing quality depending on the item(s), but they still have wonderful items and aren’t all that expensive either. Just can’t go wrong!

5) If you were allowed to bring only one beauty product with you, what would it be & why? 
I would bring my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Powder! I usually like to put on foundation and then powder because I feel like it really gives a polished look, but the MAC powder does a great job all by itself too. Evens out my skin, gives great coverage, looks finished all on its own, and is just overall wonderful. If you haven’t tried a MAC powder, you should really consider it by the way!

6) Do you have any favorite beauty or fashion blogs you recommend? 
While I usually look at all the new posts that show up in my “blog updates feed” there are three that I always make sure to take a look at. The first one is “A Fashion Blog by Hope Bidinger” (http://simplyhopestyle.blogspot.com/), the second one is “The Fancy Teacup:  A Style Diary” (http://thefancyteacup.blogspot.com/), and the third one is “Raving Fashionista” (http://ravingfashionista.blogspot.com/).

7) What is a tip you would like to share with incoming beauty or fashion bloggers? 
There are many things that I could probably say, but I think I’ll finish this off with one of my favorite quotes. “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous” by Coco Chanel. I think that’s the best thing I could tell a new or established beauty or fashion blogger, because I’ve noticed that bloggers on here just being their fabulous self are the most interesting ones.

Now onto Lilith's guest post:

The best way to choose your foundation color
The best way to choose a foundation color is to conduct a stripe test.
    Here are The Rules...
Always conduct your stripe test in natural light.
Start with three different foundation shades to compare and contrast. (The areas you will test the shades also depend on your skin tone.)
Finally, if the shade you choose is the best match with your neck color, you will pass the stripe test with an A+!

Ivory And BeigeIf you have ivory or beige skin tones, conduct the stripe test from jaw to neck to get a true match to the neck. Women with these skin types tend to have redness in their faces, but not in their necks, so it's important to get a true match. Start by applying three stripes of the different foundation shades from your jaw to your neck and wait a few minutes to see if the oils in your skin change the color pigments. Select the one that most closely matches your neck.

Bronze and Ebony
Women with bronze and ebony skin tones should stripe-test from the cheek area to the jaw area, because some women with these skin tones have "facial masking" or lighter skin on the interior of the face and darker skin on the outer edges of the face. Start by applying three stripes of the different foundation shades extending from your cheek to your jaw area, and wait a few minutes to see if the oils in your skin changes the color pigments. If you have any degree of facial masking, it's suggested that you try applying two shades of foundation to perfect your skin tone. One shade to brighten your skin, and another to deepen it.

Choose Yellow Over Pink
As mentioned previously, yellow foundation complements almost any skin tone. The only time pink is a better choice is if you have pink undertones in your neck as well as your face, which is very rare. Most women with pink in their faces do not have it in their necks. Pink foundation on top of a pink face can become red --- and no one wants a red face. Foundations and powders with pink hues actually age the skin and make it appear unnatural, yet many mature women choose pink to give their faces more color. Remember that the color should be provided by your blush and lipstick, not by the base (foundation and powder).

Yellow foundations can actually counteract skin conditions such as Rosacea and broken capillaries. Women with these skin conditions or with ruddy skin tones sometimes feel that yellow foundations look too yellow because they are used to seeing all the red in their faces. Be patient though, your skin will start to absorb the foundation and work with it better. Your eyes will begin to get used to seeing the red neutralized, and you'll soon start to notice your gorgeous, even, natural skin tone.

In contrast, many women with yellow in their skin will try to counteract that by choosing a pink foundation. This isn't a good choice. You should embrace and enhance the yellow tones in your skin to make it appear younger, fresher, and alive.

Women with ebony skin should match the undertones in their skin exactly because they are so distinct and noticeable. They can range all the way from golden-orange to true brown. Keep in mind that it is always a good idea to brighten (not lighten) ebony skin. Intense golden-orange tones work well for brightening ebony skin.
Thanks for the guest post, Lilith!
I hope you ladies enjoyed reading Lilith's post.
Don't forget to check out her blog. :)

2 comments:

Eva said...

Great post! I will keep those tips in mind when I choose my next foundation =)

Lilith said...

Thanks so much for this!
xx

Back to Top